Luckily my mom learnt a few dishes from her, and this is one of my favourite dish. I have bad cravings for Mui Choy Kou Yok so I gate crash my mom house to learn about this dish on last weekend afternoon. Haha!
To prepare this dish is not tough, this is a very easy and simple dish to prepare especially when you are too busy to prepare a proper 3 dish 1 soup meal, this will be a very good choice. Just a bowl of rice, tadah! Gao dim!
Hippo Grandma’s Stew Mui Choy Pork Belly (Stew Preserved Green mustard with Pork Belly)
(Served about 6-8 person)
Mui Choy 500g
Pork Belly 300g
Garlic 2-3 cloves (chopped) + half a bulb for stewing.
Dark Soy Sauce 1 TBSP
Cooking oil 3 TBSP
Hot water enough to cover mui choy for stewing purpose.
1. Rinse, wash and clean Mui Choy thoroughly and soak for at least 30 mins to 1 hour.
(Remarks: Soaking is to reduce the saltiness of mui choy, soaking time will depends on the saltiness of mui choy you get.)
2. Clean the pork belly and cut into big cube.
3. Wring out the excess water from mui choy and cut them into about 1cm length.
4. Heat up cooking oil in a wok and fry the chopped garlic till fragrant (pic 1), put in the pork belly and stir fry till the surface is cooked. (pic 2), now put in the garlic bulb and mui choy, stir fry for awhile (pic 3 & 4). Pour in the dark soy sauce and stir fry till all mui choy is coated with dark soy sauce, (Pic 5, this step is also to fry till the dark soy sauce is fragrant.) Pour in hot water to cover the mui choy for stew. (pic 6)
5. Bring the pot of mui choy to boil for 20-30mins then lower the flame to small medium and stew till the pork and mui choy is soft. In a normal pot/earth pot, it should takes about 1.5-2hrs for the stewing process. Now, it’s ready to serve.