I was attracted by its vibrant color when a fellow member in the baking group I join posted this. This is too pretty to resist! Given to this little fellow has been on my to-bake list for the longest time, I decided I shall make a swissroll soon. LOL~
So happen that I attend this cake decorating class on the following week and thanks to the kind and generous teacher to demo a Swiss roll to us. The demo do helps in boosting confident. keke~ Here I come little fellow!
(Adapted from Ms. Pheony Chua from Baking Wonderland)
(Make a 12” x 12” square cake tray)
Orange 2 nos (1 for slice and cook; 1 for juicing)
Egg Yolks 4 nos
Orange juice 70g
Orange rind 1 TBsp
Vegetable oil 40g
Cake flour 70g (sifted)
Egg whites 4nos
Castor sugar 60g
1. Preheat oven 180c . Line the cake tray with parchment paper.
2. Wash orange throughly, slice thinly, boil in the sugar syrup till the white flesh become transparent. Pat dry and arrange them on baking paper in baking pan.
* Note: Do not arrange the oranges slice too near to each other or the cake might be a bit difficult to roll/break during roll.
3. In a bowl, whisk egg yolk, orange juice, orange rind and vegetable oil till well combine. Add in flour, mix well.
4. In another bowl, beat egg whites till foamy, add sugar in 3 additions. Beat till stiff.
5. Fold in 1/3 of the meringue into egg yolk mixture, then pour this mixture into the balance of egg white and fold till well corporate.
6. Pour the mixture into cake tray and spread evenly. Knock a few times on table top to get rid big bubbles in the batter.
7. Bake in preheated oven for 12-15mins or till golden.
8. Remove the cake from cake tray once it is out from oven. Inverted the cake and tear out the baking paper but leave the baking paper remains cover on the cake to prevent the cake from drying.
To roll: the side with orange slices faces down, spread desire flavor of jam and roll. Leave the roll in fridge for 1 hour before serve.
Hippomama's mini Note:1. Adjust sugar level in the recipe against the sweetness of the oranges you have. My oranges is sour and 60g of sugar is just nice to yield a not too sweet cake base.
2. Please adjust the temperature according to your oven. My oven is hotter than usual oven, I only use 170c for 11mins for the cake to cook throughly.
2. Using 60g eggs.