Pies/tarts, November bake challenge with my baking kakis. I choose to make mushroom chicken because this is my favorite! Chance upon this recipe when trying to find a nice recipe online. Never regret tried it! Very nice! Although the dough resting time and the handling is abit troublesome compare to some recipe. I will stick to this recipe until I find the next best! Haha!
Mushroom Chicken Pie
(Adapted from here)
(Makes 10 medium size pie as shown in picture)
227g unsalted butter
340g All Purpose Flour/Pastry Flour
40-60g iced water
1. Cube butter into about 1cm x 1cm. Keep in fridge for 10-15mins while you prepare for dry ingredient.
2. Sieve salt and flour. Add in butter cube. Use back of a fork, mix the butter and flour. Press and mix till the mixture become crumbly. Try to mix until the crumbs are about the same size. As there will be no kneading involves.
3. Add iced water slowly and continue mix with fork. Stop adding water once you get firm dough.
4. Cling wrap and fridge for 4 hour before use. If the dough is harden, leave it under the room temp and let it soften before use.
(Hippomama anyhow do)
400g Chicken Breast meat/Thigh Meat
1 medium size Carrot
2 medium size Potatoes
1 Red Onion
1 can of canned Button Mushroom
1 handful of frozen sweet corn (You can use also green peas if you like)
2 spoonful of mushroom chicken cream sauce
Water for stewing
1 TBSP cooking oil
1 egg, lightly beaten (for egg wash use)
1. Cut all ingredients into about 1cm x 1cm cube.
2. Heat cooking oil in wok and sauté onion till brown, put in carrot, button mushroom, potatoes and chicken meat and stir fry until the chicken meat is no longer in pink. Put in frozen sweet corn (or peas)
3. Pour in the chicken mushroom cream sauce and water just enough to cover all ingredients, bring to boil.
4. Lower the flame and simmer until the potato soften and the sauce is thickened.
1. Divide the dough into 10 equal portions. Pinch 1/3 of the dough set aside to use as the top layer.
2. Press the dough into the mold evenly with thumb. Poke the base a few times with a fork.
3. Scoop filings into the mold.
4. Flatten the balance 1/3 portion of the dough and cover on top of the pie. Combine the sides and top of the pie with your fingers.
5. Poke a few more times on the cover of the pie.
6. Brush with beaten eggs and bake in preheated oven 190c for 30-40mins.
Hippomama's mini notes:
1. Do not left the dough till fully soften, it will be too soft to handle. If you find the dough too soft to handle during the process, pop it back into fridge for another 20mins and continue.